VA Attorney | If you have served in the United States military, you may be eligible for a variety of benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
There are three main types of pension benefits: retirement, service-connected and non-service-connected. Service-connected benefits provide financial assistance based on a need created during your time in the military, such as an injury. Non-service-connected benefits provide financial assistance for a disability or need outside your service years. Aid and Attendance is a much sought-after non-service-connected benefit because it is available not only to you as a veteran, but also to an un-remarried surviving spouse.
For a veteran to be eligible, the first qualifier is active duty service time. A veteran must have served 90 days of active duty, with at least one of those days coming during an acknowledged time of war. Those dates are listed here.
Next, the veteran must be 65 years of age or older, or, the veteran must need the assistance of another person with at least two activities of daily living.
Next, the veteran must meet certain income and asset requirements. This is where the qualification process becomes difficult for many people, and the landscape can be confusing. Generally speaking, if your unreimbursed medical costs exceed your income each month, you are positioned to receive the full benefit. Assets are trickier, as the household net worth cannot exceed  $127,061.
Getting Help
You can apply for this benefit by filling out the forms on your own, or you can get the assistance of a veterans service organization (VSO). However, many veterans have more income or assets than the rules allow. Though many veterans in this situation believe they are not eligible, there are ways to protect the assets and obtain this benefit. This is where an experienced VA-accredited attorney is most valuable, as he or she is well-versed in how to move money within the VA rules.
This monthly, tax-free pension benefit was earned through military service during a time of war. If you are a veteran, or the un-remarried spouse of a veteran, you may be entitled to the Aid and Attendance benefit. If it would lift a financial burden for you, you owe it to yourself to contact Mortellaro Law for a free consultation.